Skip to main content.

Back to Web Site

Morrison County
"Home of Charles Lindbergh"

Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to your social services questions.

How do I apply for Energy (fuel) Assistance?
Tri-Cap from St. Cloud has taken over the Energy Assistance Program.  Please contact them toll free at 1-888-765-5597 for more information or to obtain an application.  You may also contact them through their website. 

How do I become a foster parent?
Contact Julia Weisz at 320-632-0265 to inquire.  She will answer questions you may have and then send you an informational packet.  If you are still interested after reviewing the materials, you would call back and your name would go on a list to be invited to the next informational meeting.  During the meeting you would receive the necessary paperwork to complete which begins the process.  Once the Agency has received the application materials, they are processed and you will be contacted for your home study visit.  There are a series of many visits in the home to complete the licensing of the home and household members.  There is also a home visit that is strictly for training the foster parents.  The process from receipt of application takes about 120 days.

What hours can I get an EBT Card or have my EBT Card checked?
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

What is the phone number to the Social Security Office?
Toll free:  1-800-772-1213

What kinds of things should be reported to Social Services?
Citizens should call Social Services to report their suspicions or witnessing of any child being abused or neglected or the abuse or exploitation by another person or the self-neglect of an adult who may be considered vulnerable.  Citizens should also report suspected welfare fraud.  Please call 320-632-2951 or 1-800-269-1464 to report your concerns.  If it is after hours, a weekend, or holiday, please call the Morrison County Sheriff's Department at 320-632-9233 or if needed, 911.

What makes a person a vulnerable adult?
An adult is considered vulnerable in either of two ways:
  • a person age 18 or older is categorically vulnerable if they are a resident or inpatient of a facility such as a nursing home or receives services from a home care provider or personal care assistant services.
  • a person age 18 or older is functionally vulnerable regardless of place of residence or services received if they have a physical or mental infirmity or dysfunction that impairs their ability to provide adequately for their own care without assistance, including the provision of food, shelter, clothing, health care or supervision and because of that infirmity or dysfunction has an impaired ability to protect themselves from maltreatment.

What type of public assistance benefits am I eligible for?

The following link is a good resource to find out what types of benefits you might be entitled to: Bridges to Benefits.  It also indicates where you can apply for each of the benefits.

When can I leave my child home alone?
There is no exact age that determines if children are safe to be home alone.  There are a number of factors though that should be considered when trying to make this decision.  The maturity level of the child, the accessibility of an adult, the health status of the child, the child's behavioral history, and the child's reaction to being left alone all need to be taken into consideration.  Other things to consider are having rules and expectations for the child regarding the use of the stove or other things that may pose a danger to the child.  Also, discussing an escape plan or holding a fire drill with your child is also suggested as well as discussing other emergency plans. 
It may also be a good idea to set up a trial period once the above factors have been addressed.  Generally speaking, it is not appropriate for children 7 years of age or younger to be home alone.

Copyright 2009 Morrison County, MN ~ All rights reserved. Photos provided by Kirk Lindberg,