Facebook Twitter You Tube

Class Types & Fees

Class D

Fees -
           $25.25 regular or under 21
           $16.25 provisional drivers license
           $21.75 provisional upgrade to under 21 drivers license, no violations on record ($3.50 credit)
This is the most common license for Minnesota drivers.  This class may operate all single-unit vehicles and combinations up to 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, all recreational and farm vehicles.  As per Minnesota Statute 171.02.

Instruction Permit
Fees - $13.25  (valid for two years)
The first step to becoming a licensed driver is to obtain an instruction permit.  The permit is valid for two years of practice driving with a  licensed driver sitting in the front passenger seat.  If you are under 18 years of age, the supervising driver must be 21 years of age or older, and every occupant under 18 years of age must wear a seat belt or use a child passenger restraint system.  If you are 18 years of age or older, the supervising driver must be 18 years of age or older. 

Class C
Fees - $29.25 regular or under 21
With a hazardous materials endorsement, a Class C license holder may transport hazardous materials in a Class D vehicle.  With a school bus endorsement, the holder may operate a school bus designed to transport 15 or fewer passengers, including the driver.

Class B
Fees - $36.25   regular or under 21
A Class B license, with necessary endorsements, allows the holder to operate all class C and D vehicles and all other single-unit vehicles.  The holder of a Class B license may only tow vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds of less.

Class A
Fees - $44.25 regular
             $24.25 under 21
With appropriate endorsements, a Class A license is valid for any vehicle or trailer combination.
*Class A, B and C license are called commercial driver's license (CDLs).  A CDL allows you to drive all Class D vehicles, in addition to certain types of vehicles included in each driver's license class.

Fees - $4.00 School bus endorsement fee (original and renewal)
             $13.00 Motorcycle endorsement renewal
You must have an endorsement on your license in order to drive motorcycles, buses, school buses, double  and triple trailers, tank vehicles, and if you carry hazardous materials.  All endorsements require additional knowledge tests.  Bus, school bus and motorcycle endorsements require specialized road tests.

Duplicate Driver's License or ID Card
Fee -$14.75
If your current drivers license or ID was stolen, lost, destroyed, had a name change or address change, you would need to apply for a duplicate license.  You must apply in person at any office that does driver's license.
Copyright 2009 Morrison County, MN ~ All rights reserved. Photos provided by Kirk Lindberg, OneStoneStudio.com