It is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month.
This year we have been seeing major shifts in the way work, learn, and socialize, driving activities to happen online. With this, Social Media is being utilized more than ever to stay connected.
Below are a few simple tips to safely navigate the social media world:
- PROTECT IT. Keep your computer, smartphone, tablet, gaming devices, or any device connected to a network updated to the latest software, web browser, and operating system. These updates can contain important security updates to help protect your device
- LIMIT INFO. Limit the information shared on social media posts. Criminals will gather seemingly random details from your posts to target you with personalized scams.
- SPEAK UP. Let your friends and family know if there is something they posted about you that makes you feel uncomfortable or that you feel is inappropriate. Likewise, be mindful if someone approaches you about a post that they do not approve of. Everyone has a different comfort levels for what is shared across the internet and we should respect those differences.
- SHARE WITH CARE. Remember, there is no delete button once you share on the internet. You may remove or delete a post but that doesn't mean someone didn't see it or take a screenshot of it.
- USE PRIVACY SETTINGS. Set the privacy setting in your app of choice to your comfort level of sharing.
- TRUST CONNECTIONS. Keep your connections on social media platforms to those you know and trust.